Male business courier

Can I use business insurance for deliveries?

You have standard business insurance Class 1 for your car or van. However you either make occasional deliveries, or you are thinking of working as a fast food delivery driver. Will you insurance cover you for this?

The short answer is 'no'. Having a business use vehicle insurance policy will not normally cover you for making deliveries of any kind. If you are a food delivery driver, even if only a part-timer, you will need a courier (sometmes called hire and reward) insurance policy that specifically allows you to deliver hot food to multiple locations.

Who needs business insurance?

Many people think that adding commuting cover to their standard SDP (social, domestic and pleasure) policies allows them to drive to several different places of work; but it doesn't. it covers the policyholder to drive to a single regular place of employment; or to a parking area from which the policyholder catches public transport to that single place of work.

Anyone driving to more than one location for work; such as someone visiting more than one branch of a company; would need business insurance.

For example: let us consider a social worker. If this person works from a single office, care centre, hospital, or any other type of establishment, commuting cover is sufficient. However if duties include visiting clients, then business use it necessary.

female business courier

Similarly, accountants, out visiting clients; or even cleaners and care workers who carry out work at more than one address; need this class of insurance; even though it appears that very few realise it.

Class 2 business insurance doesn't really increase cover by very much; it just allows certain named drivers, who are part of the policyholder's own business, to have the same Class 1 benefits.

There is a higher level of business insurance called Class 3. This allows the driver to travel, possibly without making an appointment, to multiple locations throughout the country, carrying samples if necessary. Even this level normally excludes cover for the delivery of any goods; for instance a travelling sales representative, taking an urgent order to a customer, could be accused of driving without insurance, unless a policy which specifically allowed this was in force.

So no; business class vehicle insurance will not cover you for delivering any goods whatsoever, including food, unless there are specific additions written into the policy (and we haven't seen one yet). You will need to courier insurance instead.

Click here now for insurance information!
Let's get quotes now!

Delivery Driver Products

Agricultural supplies     Air conditioning Equipment     Furniture     Bakery products     Bar equipment     Beauty products     Bedding     Books     Building materials     Camping gear     Car parts     Catering equipment     Catering food     Chemists supplies     Cleaning products     Clothes     Commercial kitchen equipment     Computer equipment     Craft supplies     Curtains     Dairy products     DIY tools     Drinks dispensers     Electrical supplies     Electronics     Equestrian supplies     Fish     Fishing gear     Fitness equipment     Footwear     Furniture     Garden supplies     groceries     Home appliances     Industrial chemicals     Industrial machinery     Kitchenware     Laboratory equipment     Mattresses     Meat     Medical supplies     Medications     Mobile phones     Motorbikes     Musical instruments     Office furniture     Office supplies     Outdoor furniture     Ovens     Paint     Pet food     Pianos     Plumbing supplies     Printers and photocopiers     School supplies     Sports equipment     Stationery supplies     Tiles     TV equipment     Tyres     Vending machines     White goods     Wines and spirits is a trading style of David Gale who has a business relationship with Prudent Plus Limited of Booths Hall, Booths Park, Knutsford Cheshire WA16 8GS. This company is registered in England number 10104295, is registered with the Financial Conduct Authority and is a Member of the British Insurance Brokers Association, John Stow House, 18 Bevis Marks, London EC3A 7JB. Membership number: 007759

Prudent Plus Limited is an Introducer Appointed Representative of QuoteSearcher Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, their Registration Number is 504796 and their permitted business is insurance mediation. These facts can be checked by visiting the FCA website.